Sunday 23 June 2013

Trash to Treasure Exhibition

This is a “must see” for some really unusual recycling ideas. This exhibition was organised by Jean and she was helped with the display by Joan. Here she tells us a little about how she started out recycling.

“My interest in making old stuff into new stuff started in Africa in 1974 when I bought my first pair of car tyre sandals, known as "thousand milers". Cooking for 3 yrs in Kenya on an oven that Steve made out of two 5 gallon kerosene cans confirmed my enthusiasm.
Ever since I've been buying and making things from rubbish. This is now called 'upcycling" and is more popular than ever.
Many people from around the world and 10 locals contributed to the exhibition. 
I'm delighted that it's been nominated for a national award. It is in the Coach House til June 30th.”





























I was amazed by the creativity of the people that “upcycled” lots of different materials to create things like coasters, handbags and even clothes. 


Would love to hear if you have recycled any unusual things, it has certainly got me thinking about all the different ways we can “upcycle” our unwanted trash and turn it into treasure. 








No comments:

Post a Comment